Rasmus Schultz wrote:
Thank you - this confirms I'm not crazy, or at least it's evidence to
support that theory;-)

It may be OS specific - perhaps the Windows and OSX binaries are built
against a different build (or configuration) of FreeType?

Rasmus
Something that is also worth bearing in mind is that even in native applications, fonts behave a little strange at times. Certainly in windows we used to have fun between different versions of windows rendering text in slightly different sizes, and today I have to ask some customers to change fonts where they have picked up some nice new fancy one, but on Linux it wraps at different places to Windows or Mac. I certainly remember having to 'adjust' box sizes on native applications so that the W98 app displayed the same on W2k.

While it would be nice to accurately render a pdf document to a printer, there is no accurate base to a browser window so we live with things being a little random when rendered, and often a browser will 'scale' fonts differently when you zoom them. So personally I just live with the fact that infrastructure is not as good as perhaps we would like?

It IS some time since I bothered looking at similar problems myself - probably 1990's :) - but I think I'm right in saying that 'italic' is handled in a couple of different ways? One provides a separate rendering of the italic font, while the other simply allows the perpendicular font to be rendered at a variable angle. Looking at the 'faulty' image I would suspect that the metrics are for the perpendicular case, push the characters back to vertical and they will drop back in the box. At least if I was going to look at the problem, that is were I would start ... I doubt that this is purely a PHP bug though?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL