Good point - the bug could actually be in the rendering, rather than in the
bounding box calculation.

We could determine which is the case, by running the exact same script with
the exact same font, on a system where the bug is present, and on another
system where it's not.

Then overlay the resulting images in photoshop:

- if the type aligns, and the red lines do not, the bug is in the bounding
box computation.

- if the type does not align, the bug is either in the type rendering, or
in both (less likely) the rendering and bounding box computation.

That should narrow it down some?