On Jan 28, 2013, at 2:14 PM, Anthony Ferrara <ircmax...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> After reading the Voting Periods email thread, I'm left wondering a simple
> question (which has a difficult answer):
>
> What should we be voting on when voting on an RFC: on the RFC proposed
> feature, or on the patch itself?

Personally, I'm discussing/voting on the feature.  We do tend to combine our
discussions, but voting seems to be directly for the proposed feature.  I don't
necessarily disagree with this approach, as we tend to hash out the
implementation during the discussions.  It might save RFC authors a lot of time
and keyboard taps if we discussed/voted on a feature prior to discussing
implementation.  This could open the door for a flood of feature requests in
the form of RFCs, but I don't believe that would happen.

One of the advantages of combining the patch(es) with an RFC is it shows the
author has put forth an effort in thinking the idea through.  That said, a
"rule of thumb" (or official rule) that RFC authors should provide a patch once
the feature has been approved might work.

In the end, separating the two would end up saving the RFC's author and this
list time as to whether a feature should be considered.  However, there are
times where the implementation could change the outcome of the feature vote
itself.