Am 29.01.2013 17:55, schrieb Larry Garfield:
> On 1/29/13 5:08 AM, Pierre Joye wrote:
>> hi Jan,
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Jan Ehrhardt
>> <php...@ehrhardt.nl> wrote:
>>> Hi Pierre,
>>>
>>> Pierre Joye in php.internals (Tue, 29 Jan 2013 05:55:27
>>> +0100):

>>> No. Reality: many Drupal users are beginning to move from
>>> Drupal 6 to Drupal 7 at the moment. So are we. The code freeze
>>> for Drupal 8 will be no sooner than July this year. And we have
>>> enough issues with D7 under PHP 5.4 to worry about BC breaks
>>> beyond PHP 5.4.
>>
>> What do you need to get D7 tested under 5.5? I mean once you have
>> a CI in place, it is not hard to setup one instance to test 5.5.
>>
>> Waiting the final release of 5.5 won't be of any help, not for
>> Drupal, not for us.
>
> Clear, detailed instructions aimed at someone who has *never used a
> C compiler before*[1] for how to build, install, and run a 5.5
> alpha, for Mac and for common Linuxes[2], that do not require doing
> screwy things with running multiple web servers on a single OS.  In
> fact, the ideal would be periodically released VirtualBox images
> with the latest alpha or beta tagged that we can just boot up and
> run.[3]
>
> The first point is, I think, the biggest blocker.  "Try out the
> latest PHP and see what breaks" is currently a task that roughly
> 0.1% of PHP developers have the technical ability to even do.
> Bring that up to 5-10% and we may see a *much* better feedback
> loop.[4]

If that is the issue, I could probably set up an obs project for that,
which would autobuild a distribution package out of the git code at
select points in time. It could even go as far as autobuilding a
kvm/xen/virtualbox image. I do that kind of stuff for userland code
(Horde) but I never fealt it was something others could use.

- --
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer
Tel.: +49-170-6381563