Hi Jens,
I see two problems with your proposal:

> "For example the following class, "namespace Framework; internal class Something {}", would only be visible from within the "Framework" namespace."

What about classes in a sub-namespace of Framework? Will classes in \Framework\Foo have access to the class defined in \Framework?

What will happen in the following case:

namespace \Framework
internal class Foobar {}

namespace \Framework
class NotInternal {
  public static function getFoobarInstance() {
    return new Foobar();
  }
}

Now a class in a completely different namespace can get an instance of the "internal" \Framework\Foobar class. Now you could argue that this violates the contract of the Foobar class by exposing it (or its instances) to other namespaces - but at the same time you can argue that a programmer should never call undocumented framework methods.

> "Often, when writing frameworks, you need to make public or protected functionality or classes which should only be called from inside the framework."

Here I'd like to throw "Design by Contract" at you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_by_contract

Cheers,
Fabian