On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Anthony Ferrara <ircmax...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. It has integration issues with ZO+ in that it has to be included in a
> specific order (specifically around ini declarations). If it was included
> into core, this could be accounted for allowing for more robust behavior.

I don't use Suhoshin, nor do I want to (not that it is bad, I just
don't want the performance hit.) Additionally, I like to set up a
development environment with XDebug, and I like to leave XDebug out of
my production environment.

> 2. Both to be maintained for each new language feature as well as
> opcode-caches. This will have the same benefit as integrating ZO+, as it
> can be maintained inline with the engine.

Derrick is doing a great job keeping XDebug up-to-date, so why does
this need to change. In contrast, APC was having a very difficult time
keeping up.

> 3. Both stand as a barrier to adoption as many will not run PHP in
> development without XDebug, and they won't run it in production without the
> Suhosin patch.

Many won't run WITH Sohosin in production.

In terms of XDebug and opcode caches, I really do believe there is a
big difference between the two in terms of the severity of bugs. A bug
in XDebug is not as critical to me, as I can live with and work around
XDebug issues (what few I've encountered) because I experience these
in dev environments. However, an opcode cache is a production
environment feature, which makes these bugs much more severe in
nature.

Adam