> Yay cloud :-D
> (i don't see why cloud matters, here though it's more about modern
> bandwidth and storage space)

Just did not want to name the product which prompted me to finally go at
it. ;)

>> Before I begin providing a github patch (as I have no php svn access and
>> I don't think it's needed) against master and possibly 5.5.next:
>>
>> Does anybody know of intricate reasons why the existing patch
>>
>> https://bugs.php.net/patch-display.php?bug_id=44522&patch=uploads_larger_than_2g_HEAD_v2&revision=latest
>>
>> could not be included into php 5.5?
>
> Most likely since nobody cared enough and pushed it. (both, pushed in
> the tree and pushed as in making people aware)
>
> Unfortunately the patch can't make it in 5.5. It changes the size and
> offsets in the sapi globals which breaks binary compatibility which we
> can't do in a dot release. Has to be 5.6/PHP.next.
>
> I haven't looked close enough to comment on the patch itself.

OK, no 5.5 then.
Anyway, I have built a version of the patch (using unsigned long instead
of signed long as the original did) against old php 5.3.8 and currently
a test is running with a 4.7 GiB DVD Image. If it works well, I will
submit the patch and attach it to the bug record.

Thank you for your response.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer