On 15/07/14 06:17, Stas Malyshev wrote:
>> Both of those are likely not to be installed on most systems. Why do
> Why not? bcmath is in core since forever and has no external
> requirements, gmp builds practically everywhere too. AFAIR all distros
> have it.

Taking this in isolation is wrong ...
It is essentially linked up with all of the discussion on '64bit'
processing. What seems to be ignored so far is the simple 'bigint'
value. Limiting 32 bit systems to only support 32 bit integers may be
the easy solution, but bigint is an essential element of most database
type sets these days, so should be supported transparently. If a primary
key is provided as part of a database result set, then do we really want
the situation where some installs fall over with an overflow of that key
on 32 bit systems? Having to use a secondary level function exclusively
simply because the core processing gets it wrong is another mistake?

Certainly it's not going to be easy to handle, and may not even be
practical? But even the discussion on 'type hinting' seems to ignore the
range problem where a 64bit value may be required but the installation
on4y supports 32bit integers. Currently the value simply works with the
string version ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL