Stas Malyshev wrote (on 15/07/2014):
Having more than one set of rules
for implicit cast  makes no sense to me at all and will only lead to
more confusion and frustrated users.

That's only a problem if you frame the new hints as "a type of implicit cast". If they were to be described in relation to existing functionality, I'd describe them as a new type of *explicit* cast, but as mentioned elsewhere, I'd be happy for them to exist outside of function signatures too as a new notion of "strict cast".

That way, we remove the expectation that they will act the same as some other feature, and can simply evaluate their usefulness as a new, separate, feature.