On 17 Jul 2014, at 00:23, Stas Malyshev <smalys...@sugarcrm.com> wrote:

> I think this is not correct. It can be OK in one context and error in
> another. I.e., if you say "let's ask users how many gizmos they want"
> and the user gives "1 " (note the space) and we tell them "we don't know
> what this even means, there's an extra character there" - doing this
> would just annoy the user. Silently converting it to 1 would do the
> right thing.
>
> If you say making any distinction between "1" and "1 " is useless for
> you - well, I can accept that. I can see use cases where it makes sense
> to make distinction but they are a minority. I think there's a level
> between E_RECOVERABLE_ERROR and silence where it's not "I can't make any
> sense out of this garbage" but also not "it's clean data". But I can
> also live without this level, if that is what the majority comes to. In
> that case, I'd rather have "1 " converted to 1 silently.

There are really only two levels of error IMO, those that are log file messages
(silenced or no), and those that actually stop the script unless handled. I
worry about making E_CAST the former but allowing people to make it the latter,
because then people would and suddenly code relying on it being the former
would make your app stop working.

--
Andrea Faulds
http://ajf.me/