Hi Laruence,

I do think that some people simply doesn't like phpng (for reasons mostly
not on technical grounds), and they are bringing up any issue which can
hinder the acceptance of phpng.
But I also think that documentation is important, and the reasoning that it
isn't based on the fact that the current engine is also lacked/lacking
proper documentation is wrong imo.
There are a bunch of extensions whose authors already figured out the
current internals on their own (but stuff like Sara's book helped a bunch
imo) to make their extension work, but we shouldn't force them yet again to
learn from reading through the source yet again.
Also, the less documentation we have, the more likely that the voters won't
really base their vote on the actual diff, but they beliefs/pre-conceptions
about phpng.
As both sides (supporters of phpng and those who are against it) are really
"loud" to have their arguments heard, I think it would be better for
everybody if we could have as many voters as possible voting on the actual
content instead of who has the bigger follower/supporter group.
And as you mentioned, not that many people are familiar with the Zend
internals, but the vote is open for any contributors (which we had a few
rounds of discussion, but it is unlikely to be changed before this goes
into voting), I think it is even more important to make it possible for the
less Zend-savy people to make an educated decision about the patch.
I really like the current progress on https://wiki.php.net/phpng-upgrading
, and I support your idea of having more people, even outside of the phpng
devs contributing to the docs.
(I added a link to the upgrading guide for the rfc page as I've noticed
that some people wasn't even aware of the existence of the upgrading docs)

I don't think that phpng requires any better or more detailed rfc or docs
than any other similar rfc, but I do think that improving those will
improve the "quality" of the votes, and maybe it will calm down some loud
people seemingly being really frustrated by the lack of documentation.

Hi,

I confirm without the sara book, it would have been *really* difficult to code my first php extension. From my point of view, this API change is a good opportunity to write a doc about the PHP API, and how to use it efficiently.

  Jocelyn