On Sat, 13 Dec 2014, Leon Sorokin wrote:

> I was wondering if 7.0 could be the version to fix the long-standing
> incorrect ternary associativity bug in PHP [1].

It is not a bug, as the issue's status says: "Not a bug".

> This seems especially worthy of reconsideration since the Null
> Coalesce RFC has been accepted and merged [2] with the correct
> associativity [3].

It's another one of those bonkers changes. It changes behaviour of
already existing syntax. This sort of meddling with the language is
difficult to detect, and there is little value in fixing it. Don't piss
off users for purety.

I suggest you read this too:
http://derickrethans.nl/bc-dont-be-evil.html

> The major version change seems like the only time to get this done in PHP.

Only time it is *allowed*; that doesn't it should be done.

cheers,
Derick