While I think long-term this would be a beneficial change I think in
the short term it's quite a hurdle. There is definitely code out there
relying on this behavior and changing it will result in the worst BC
case: it will not fail in any way but will instead act differently.

I definitely want to clean up the language, but I don't see the value
in this one. In my opinion, chaining or nesting ternaries at all
should be discouraged; changing the associativity doesn't change the
fact that they are more difficult to follow and more error prone than
using different constructs.