I'm missing what benefit this gives us.

Distros lock the version (all 3 digits) for a particular distro version;  At
the same time, when a new version of the distro comes out, there are no
version restrictions of any kind.

So for a given distro that uses 5.6.8 (as an example), upgrading to 5.6.9 or
5.7.0 or even 7.0.0 is equally forbidden within the same distro version, and
equally allowed within a new distro version.

Zeev