at

0:33, Andrea Faulds <a...@ajf.me>:

Hi Marcio,

> On 14 Jan 2015, at 18:52, Marcio Almada <marcio.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> We still have a BC break but now we also have code with **mutant**
behavior that might become buggy (do unexpected things) if a `declare` is
used. As a language user and a package maintainer it would be a huge
problem. Imagine how would be to maintain a package that can be used with
both strict and coercive type checking. We would have to write 2x more
tests and yet pollute code with manual type checks (is_string, is_integer)
for the non strict runtime mode when type check is necessary.

I don’t see why this would create “mutant” or “buggy” behaviour. You always
get the type you ask for: the weak behaviour is precisely the same as in
v0.1. The strict behaviour is fairly intuitive. In no case will you ever
receive the wrong type.

I don’t understand.
--
Andrea Fauld

 Hello Andrea!

Consider what a mess was register_globals and problems it had, but at least
it was a global setting. Declare will work on per file basis, and it will
end up even more of a mess.

I think PHP development community learned that lesson and that's why you
get pushback, and not only from internals, but also from the userland. Me
including.

Rergards,
Arvids.