On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 9:14 PM, Andrea Faulds <a...@ajf.me> wrote:

> Good evening,
>
> At long last, I’m going to put the RFC to a vote. It’s been long enough -
> I don’t think there needs to be, or will be, much further discussion.
>
> I’d like to make sure that everyone voting understands the RFC fully.
> Please read the RFC in full: the details are important. And if  anyone has
> any questions or uncertainties, please ask them before voting. I am very
> happy to answer them.
>
> I would urge everyone who wants type hints to vote for this RFC. It is not
> a perfect solution, but there can be no perfect solution to this issue.
> However, I think it is better than most of the alternatives suggested thus
> far - see the rationale section, and previous discussions. Crucially, this
> RFC would keep PHP a weakly-typed language, and not force either strict
> typing, nor weak typing, on anyone who does not want it. It would allow the
> addition of type hints to existing codebases. It would not create a
> situation where userland functions are strict yet internal functions are
> not, because the strict mode affects both. I’ve tested the implementation
> myself on my own code, and it worked well, providing benefits other
> proposals would not have given (see my previous post about my experiences).
>
> Voting starts today (2015-02-05) and ends in two weeks’ time (2015-02-19).
> In addition to the vote on the main RFC, there is also a vote on the type
> aliases issue, and a vote to reserve the type names for future RFCs’ sake
> if this RFC fails.
>
> The RFC can be found here, and it contains a voting widget:
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/scalar_type_hints
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> --
> Andrea Faulds
> http://ajf.me/
>

> --

hi,

I've voted no for two reasons:
1, I don't really like the the proposed declare solution, I know that you
put much thought and effort with finding a way to make the strict hints
opt-in for the caller, but I think it is still not a good compromise:
people in favor of strict hints will hate it because it is opt-in from the
caller, so they can't use scalar hints to save the boilerplate for argument
validation, and other people like me will unlike it because they think that
the blockless declare will cause many errors and debugging headache when
somebody moves some code between files (or concatenating files as part of
their deployment process).
2, As this is a really polarizing topic I would like if the eventual
solution would have wider support from the current php-src regular
contributors, and not just pushed through by "force". (And I know that
status quo sucks when somebody trying to do innovative stuff, but it is a
safe thing to default to).

Thanks for your efforts on such a hard topic and I hope you can eventually
succeed where everyone else failed thus far!

--
Ferenc Kovács
@Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu