On 03/03/15 18:54, Yasuo Ohgaki wrote:
> More or less, we do need maintenance, otherwise phpversion() will remain
> inconsistent forever. IMO.

Is there any reason why a few peripheral functions like that can't
simply remain as is?
ADDING an object with what I will simply describe as 'the new style of
coding' which provides an alternative API has to be the sensible way
forward. An object for ini management with a more convenient display
function in addition to the simple phpversion dump.

> I fully understand your arguments/reasoning, but I fails to see why not
> having aliases to have shiny procedural APIs for major version up...

Changing the parameter order on the existing function set is not
practical, but similarly so is changing names which will then produce an
abysmal mess when searching help files especially when reliance on
google to provide that function means that we have no control on just
which version of names are looked up.

The more I look at this from the other side, the better the idea of
simply adding new format objects to augment the legacy function set
looks. Certainly leaving things like gd alone and adding a parallel
'coding style complainant' extension also allows changes to the
parameter order. Apply the same approach to some of the other extensions
and at some point in the future we can drop legacy versions ... although
I suspect that a legacy build will still have a place for some time to
come.

The piece of the jigsaw I am missing is at which point does it become
better to create a new extension for a complex object rather than simply
writing a set of PHP classes?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL