On Mar 4, 2015 9:18 AM, "Rowan Collins" <rowan.coll...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3 March 2015 20:08:45 GMT, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:
> >The piece of the jigsaw I am missing is at which point does it become
> >better to create a new extension for a complex object rather than
> >simply
> >writing a set of PHP classes?
>
> A good question, wrappers can achieve a lot here. An extension has two
key benefits that I can think of: performance (indirection through userland
code will always be slower, and for frequent operations like string and
array handling, it could add up to something significant) and convenience
(thanks to Composer, dependency management is pretty simple, but nothing
beats functionality built right into the language distribution).

For a php developer point of view, for someone not knowing c or php
internals APIs, I highly recommend https://github.com/phalcon/zephir