> I will say it again a last time, in my opinion only a clean API;
> object-like or real object as long as performance is not affected is
> the only way I could see to actually solve this problem.
>
> Changing the names, argument order (pointless once we will have named
> arguments, btw) and similar solutions are band aids solutions,
> confusing at best, terrible at worst. It is pointless to do it after
> almost two decades for some of them.
>
> --
> Pierre
>
> I'm with Pierre here.
Adding aliases is gonna mess up things even more. For example -
autocomplete will become hard to navigate. It's already quite lengthy list
a lot of the times and it's easier just to write the whole function name
sometimes by hand. Adding aliases will make it worse.

We really need a new API, that is not crossing paths with the old. That way
people can start building stuff on new API's and we could phase out the old
mess, for example: depricate in PHP8, remove in PHP9.
Stop-gap measures have created enough problems already, or did everyone
suddenly got an amnesia and forgot all the past lessons on the list?