On 4 March 2015 21:27:53 GMT, Yasuo Ohgaki <yohg...@ohgaki.net> wrote:
>We cannot remove all issue at once. We are better to adopt incremental
>improvement, aren't we?

I think this, more than anything else, is where I disagree (having been
persuaded by arguments in previous discussions). Incremental improvements mean
having the cost of change multiple times, and the benefit just a promise for
the future. It's like living in a building site while rebuilding your house -
sometimes necessary, but not what you'd choose.

If we have two names with no other fixes now, then later a third name, or some
magic flag, which fixes the argument order and error behaviour, then go through
and tidy up, we'll end up with a whole flow chart of "if you need to support
version X, use Y; if you find a tutorial using A, replace with B..."

Some such change is inevitable - a huge number of tutorials became out of date
when ext/mysql was deprecated, for instance - but it's not something to do
"little and often" just to make things "a little bit better".

Regards,
--
Rowan Collins
[IMSoP]