On 13/03/15 09:02, Patrick ALLAERT wrote:
> It also depends on your perception of E_STRICT. This level has been
> introduced in 5.0 without being part of E_ALL in order to, among other
> things, avoid too much pain in the *** while migrating from 4.x to 5.x.
> As of 5.4, E_ALL contains E_STRICT and the difference between E_STRICT
> and E_NOTICE/E_WARNING is certainly not in terms of severity.
> Using an undefined variable or property => notice.
> Trying to get property of non-object => notice.
> Use of undefined constant => notice
>
> For this reason, I think we should use the standard notice/warning/error
> levels as much as possible. You may take a look at Nikita's "Reclassify
> E_STRICT RFC" for more info about it.
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/__reclassify_e_strict
> <https://wiki.php.net/rfc/reclassify_e_strict>

I think the main point here is just like the PHP4->5 conversion path,
SOME areas that need upgrading should be flagged by default while others
should be able to be hidden until they need to be addressed. Perhaps
E_STRICT7 off by default, but if all of the 4->5 conversion stuff is now
reclassified then E_STRICT should be available to serve the same purpose
it did back then?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL