> Am 15.03.2015 um 17:55 schrieb Zeev Suraski <z...@zend.com>:
>
> Bob,
>
> Thanks for the update.  This time, though, although I completely respect
> your decision not to put your RFC into a vote unless the Dual STH mode
> fails, I'd like to either (with your permission) take over the RFC or
> propose my own copy and move it to voting as soon as allowed.  This, under
> a commitment that if I see that Basic STH is failing to garner a clear
> majority, I'll retract it and move to support the Dual STH RFC instead for
> the sake of unity.
>
> Why am I making this admittedly big move?  I think that waiting until we
> know for certain whether the Dual Mode STH would win is very problematic,
> for two reasons.
>
> The bigger one that it runs a serious risk we have no STH at all for 7.0.
> It's not an unlikely scenario either - it's probably 50/50% that the Dual
> STH RFC would fail, only to find later - when it's too late - that Strict
> campers have enough votes to block the Basic one.  Personally, I find that
> the worst possible outcome, given how clearly it is that the users at
> large want *something*.  If the Basic RFC is put to a vote but retracted
> if & when we see it stands no chance to pass - combined with my commitment
> to support the Dual STH in such a case (and my belief that move will be
> able to influence others as well), the chances that we'd be left with no
> STH at all for 7.0 goes down significantly.
>
> There's also a secondary reason - I do think it's unfair that in a very
> likely scenario - we won't be giving people who prefer Basic STH only - at
> least at this point - a chance to vote at the proposal they think is best.
> I don't think it's a matter of voting for "who's going to win";  In fact
> with a commitment to retract it if it fails to win, it's not about that at
> all.  It's being able to vote for what you truly believe in, as opposed to
> a compromise that you find bad but better than nothing.  And in my case
> (and perhaps others) - it's about being willing to vote for something I
> actually don't believe it at all for the sake of unity, but only once the
> alternative options have been explored.
>
> Before Dual STH supporters dissect my move to pieces, please realize this:
> If you're right - that Basic STH stands no chance to gain 2/3 majority -
> you have absolutely NOTHING to lose, and in fact, you're increasing your
> chances of passing that vote through from apparently 50/50 to 80/20 (not
> talking about votes, but chances), and as a bonus, you get to prove your
> point.
> If you're wrong - and Basic STH is more popular than Dual STH (at this
> point in time) - we would have given the community at large something
> that's closer to what it really wants.
>
> Zeev

Please do not top post...

Zeev,

I'm sure we risk to have no STH at all in PHP 7.0 if I put it into vote now.
Some people will change their vote, not enough people for basic to pass.
Also, I definitely won't support going back and forth with the votes.
If you have issues with dual mode, vote against it. If you like the Basic Types
RFC, vote in favor of it, once it starts. You're all given a chance.

We should have a version of STH we have *consensus* on, not some type of STH
most people dislike, just for the sake of it. Please respect my stance on that.

Thus, I deny your request and strongly urge you to *not* fork my RFC. That
would be sabotaging of Anthony's and my RFC.
I won't tolerate that.

You had a time to do this RFC, but you did coercive. Now, it's my move with
this RFC and not yours.

Please accept that and don't play against us.

Thanks,
Bob