> Hi Daniel,
>
> Would you mind clarifying the relationship between the "Generator
> Delegation" RFC and the "Generator Return Expressions" RFC?
>
> While I really appreciate the "Generator Delegation" RFC, the "Generator
> Return Expressions" looks both unnecessary and kind of a hack to me. In
> evented system based on coroutine/generators (for example Python
> greenlet/gevent) the ability to "return a value" is handled higher up than
> the generator/coroutine itself, which has other advantages (like the
> ability to yield until the value is available, instead of simply throwing,
> etc...). Essentially, "returning a value" is an abstraction of the
> cooperative framework (usually an event loop), not of the generator itself.

I already wanted to ask why you voted no on return expressions. The reason
for having delegation dependent on return expression is that coroutines can
have a result that should be available just like any other function.

$result = yield from coroutine();

Without return expressions, there would be no way to access the result of a
coroutine.

The relevant section in the RFC should be the following:
https://wiki.php.net/rfc/generator-return-expressions#use-casecoroutine_return_values

I hope that clarifies it, if not, please ask again.

Regards, Niklas

Damien