On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 7:35 AM, Levi Morrison <le...@php.net> wrote:

> This numeric type is a type of int or float. There is a formal name
> for such types: union types. Some languages have syntax for union
> types that would look like this: int | float. I have a draft RFC for
> this subject: https://wiki.php.net/rfc/union_types. Union types would
> be useful for other common cases as well, such as `Foo | null` or
> `array | Traversable`.
>
> --

Yes, this a union type. As I understand the request, the union type
definition would look like int|float| string where is_numeric(string) is
true. According to the definition of is_numeric, it does not check to see
if the string can be cast into an int or float, only that it could parsed
an stuffed into a bignum or GMP object.

Walter

--
The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of
zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.   -- Justice Louis D. Brandeis