On 19 May 2015 17:21:58 BST, Levi Morrison <le...@php.net> wrote:
>On a related note it is unclear what BC breaks are exactly allowed in
>minor releases. Adding new reserved types is a BC break, but it was
>done in PHP 5.4 with `callable`. We should solidify what we do and do
>not allow in minor releases for the PHP 7 release series.

5.4 is the wrong example to look at for BC precedent. It was immediately
*after* 5.4's large number of changes (which were largely refugees from the
sinking of 6.0) that a policy was adopted, and followed for 5.5, 5.6, and 7.0.

It still leaves some room for controversial interpretation, but it certainly
disallows many of the things that happened in 5.4 outside of a major release,
and this is by design.

https://wiki.php.net/rfc/releaseprocess

Regards,
--