On 06/04/16 10:19, Joe Watkins wrote:
>     > 1) nullable properties
>
>     I agree that we need a way to that, but I would rather see it
> covered by nullable types rfc.
>
>     > 2) concerns about default values
>
>     Implicit defaults would only allow us to reduce read checks, it
> can't eliminate them in all cases, magic can return value for declared
> property, and an overloaded zend object doesn't necessarily use inline
> properties at all, but there can still be a declared type in the user
> class ... think class User extends Internal {} where Internal uses
> object handlers to change the way properties are stored ...
>
>     I'm persuaded by the chance to reduce instructions anyway ... let me
> think about that ...

This does seem still to be creating two types of PHP. One which plays
transparently with the initialization data returned from a database and
one where initialization is forced on less flexible variables? We
actually have typed variables returned from the database, if that is the
appropriate way of working, but the default is NULL unless a specific
default is included as part of the schema. Some databases also provide
other restrictions on this data which may be hidden by applying some new
arbitrary default in PHP?

There are a number of well established standards and all of these
attempts to add yet another 'simplified' type system is simply not helpful.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL