On 04/14/2016 06:42 AM, Levi Morrison wrote:
As alluded to in an earlier email today[1] I am now moving the
Nullable Types RFC[2] to the discussion phase. In a nutshell this RFC
proposes syntax for declaring a type to alternatively be null.
+1

The up to date implementation for return-type-hints may be found at https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/1851/files
Implementation for argument-type-hints is really not a problem

There is a decision that needs to be made: does the question mark go
before or after the type name?

     function (?Foo $foo);
     function (Foo? $foo);

There are precedents in several languages for each position. Some
relevant issues to where the question mark goes are noted in the
RFC[3].

It's better to use ? position before the type, to reduce fragmentation with HHVM.

Thanks. Dmitry.

I look forward to a helpful and meaningful discussion!

   [1]: http://news.php.net/php.internals/92252
   [2]: https://wiki.php.net/rfc/nullable_types
   [3]: https://wiki.php.net/rfc/nullable_types#position_of