On 6/14/2016 12:43 PM, Dmitry Stogov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just take into account, that 7.0 was released more than after 10
> years of php-5 life, and of course we don't have any plans or goal
> for 8.0 yet.
>
> Waiting another 10 years for fixing inconsistencies, that we "missed"
> in 7.0, would limit our progress on bytecode and VM optimizations
> targeted to 7.1 and future progress in next minor versions.

Isn't that just an excuse to creep in breaking changes? We all
understand the goal here and we all are in favor of it. The problem is
that it still is a breaking change. It would be better to elevate the
E_INFO to an E_WARNING and create that PHP-8.0 branch with the actual
error and start planning the 8.0 release.

PHP 5.4 was already like a PHP 6.0, it was simply not called that way.
Why not learn from past mistakes and improve upon them?

Having a release cycle that is faster than the current one would help
users and companies. People could plan according to it. People would
know what to expect and it would most certainly make it easier for all
of use to plan and align.

--
Richard "Fleshgrinder" Fussenegger