On 22/06/16 11:25, Michał Brzuchalski wrote:
> Nobody will pursuade me not that type safety is nothing significant in
> programming language.

'type safety' is perhaps the problem here. In a compiled language you
are only ever passing a binary value for which the 'type' is a critical
element, but move away from the straight jacket of binary variables and
allow a user to type a number into a box and use that string value as a
variable then the 'type safety' needs to be implemented at the entry
point ... including checking the range of the number ... and so there is
no point adding code to every usage of a variable that has correctly
been validated already. Variables already stored will already have been
validated so again the 'additional' check that an integer is an integer
has little value?

Now start from a situation where we have a proper typed 'var' with the
ability to set constraints such as range or string length, then attempts
to store the wrong value can be handled ... something that several user
coded frameworks already provide ... then even the 'strict' debate has a
completely different base?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL