On 22/06/16 22:21, Rowan Collins wrote:
> But we haven't ever decided what that road is, so how can we know what
> the next step is? What if we realise that the way we've implemented
> typed properties is completely at odds with the way we want to implement
> typed locals?

Why should a 'var' inside a class be any different to a 'var' in an
array or a simple static 'var'. If we add a set of constraints to the
basic 'var' all of those constraints should be consistent where ever it
is used, but currently there is no consistent way to add a constraint to
the basic 'var'.

Now if there is some fundamental reason not to allow those constraints,
then that block should also apply consistently. The historic var is a
totally flexible container with no constraints, and all of the actions
to block NULL or 'string integers' and the like should work exactly the
same everywhere, not requiring different methods un-associated with
defining the var.

But I still can't see why NOT having to worry about typing makes
learning PHP more difficult. I still have no idea why I would use
'Reflections' and have no references to it in my own code and in my book
that makes no difference to making code work. Typing is only a subset of
data validation, and so I would teach that and not worry about any of
the current 'type' functions as they get in the way.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL