On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 8:57 AM, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:

> On 05/09/16 16:31, Michael Morris wrote:
> > Also, as Tony Marston pointed out, there are CPanel systems that allow
> the
> > pear libraries to be managed from a web gui.  Given time I'm sure the
> folks
> > at cpanel will build new interfaces for new systems if it's possible.
> > Composer however doesn't really allow for this since the dependencies
> > belong to the PHP application, not the server.
>
> This is the part of the tree that I'm also climbing where we are helping
> port legacy hosting over to to a newer framework. Silly little things
> like mysql being dropped while there is nobody to re-write all the code
> to mysqli.

https://github.com/dshafik/php7-mysql-shim — I already solved that problem,
at least in the short term.

> Restoring extensions from pecl still needs pecl to exist even
> for pickle to access them including the web interface to catalogue them?
> And I view PEAR in the same light. So this is not about 'Deprecate' the
> code, but just the loader bit?

Nobody is saying to do anything except unbundle the command line tools.
Also, pickle can install pecl extensions from places like publicly
accessible git and svn repos (like github, git.php.net or svn.php.net).