On 09/09/16 13:32, Ferenc Kovacs wrote:

>> > See my other reply ...
>> > and composer global mode as provided out of the box is NOT an
>> > alternative to installing the sort of production and development -
>> > command line - tools that PEAR currently manages happily. I AM trying to
>> > learn composer, and I can see now how it can be used, but simply passing
>> > the buck to getcomposer is not the way to use it for a default PHP
>> > installation.
>
> composer is proven to be capable managing those use-cases but it isn't our
> duty to write out the detailed migration guides for every usecase between
> PEAR and composer.
> our duty as the php-src group is that we provide a way which allows the
> management of the pecl extensions (pickle install and maybe providing an
> alternative for pecl package) and tell people how can they install PEAR if
> they still need it (https://pear.php.net/manual/en/installation.php)
> for the record most distributors already decouple PEAR from the base php
> install (php-pear is a separate optional package on debian/ubuntu, the
> windows binaries doesn't have PEAR at all, you have to manually install it
> there, etc.) and from the php-src point of view we only use it to provide a
> way of installing pecl extensions, which will be solved with pickle so
> while educating people to migrate their workflows from PEAR to composer is
> a noble goal, but it isn't our responsibilities and we don't have to solve
> that to be able to replace our php c extension management tool shipped with
> the core.

I'd forgotten the official windows packages no longer had PEAR anyway.
Does make the discussion on that somewhat academic? We have been
installing Linux servers as replacements to the windows boxes so the
need to actually load newer windows builds as been rather rare, and I
was using a stacked version when I did ... which is another alternative
to distributions on windows.

Now that I have got composer under control I can see that it is not
something that fits my own audited security model but I can see how to
provide it as an alternative if I ever get time to update
http://lsces.co.uk/wiki/FWAP64+Setup ... That is at least an area where
I will continue to try and contribute to PHP.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL