> I'm not so sure its a BC though. Technically nullable types don't exist in
> 7.0 and as such would be impossible to return said question mark. Its only
> adding support for a new feature, not changing how an existing feature
> works IMO. If nullable types had been in 7.0 its highly probably, that
> __toString would have returned the leading question mark back then.

Here is the BC break: https://3v4l.org/VUbIS

As light as it looks to be, the output on PHP7.1RC2 is not the same as in
PHP7.0.
Yet, __toString() is the only public interface that is available on PHP 7.0,
so people have already built things on top.

Nicolas
p.s. to Nikita: my bad for the too short quote...