On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 11:13 AM, Nicolas Grekas
<nicolas.gre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> To handle this in code written around current __toString seems pretty
> simple
>
> Yes it is, but that's not what we're talking about:
> BC is about having perfectly fine code working in e.g. 7.0 be still working
> fine on 7.1 *without any change*.
>
> Right now, we have red test suites on php7.1rc2.
> This is the symptom of a BC break, by definition.
> And the issue is not the existing code we have, but the new one that is
> changing the behavior of the engine.

This was understood when the decision was made. You seem to not be
understanding the bigger issue and instead focusing on the BC break
for a *single minor release, and a dot zero at that*. If we keep the
BC compat this method is redundant and useless forever. If we fix it
we break your code for *one single minor release, and a dot zero at
that*. Which is the bigger disruption?

This is why the decision was made. It is better to have the useful
functionality from here on out than to preserve BC with a single minor
release, and a dot-zero at that.