On 17 October 2016 at 21:57, Nikita Popov <nikita....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand the motivation for throwing a deprecation notice
> instead of a warning. In particular, what is the action that will be taken
> here in the next major version? I guess we would throw a warning and return
> false (instead of 0/1). But is the change of return value from 0/1 to false
> really sufficiently worthwhile to go with a deprecation first?
I don't feel strongly either way, as long as there's some clue that
something's not right.

Is there precedent for adding warnings in a minor? Would there be BC
concerns there?
I wouldn't want an RFC for a warning to fail when people would have voted
for a deprecation.

> In any case, if you want to go with deprecation, please specify what
> action this RFC implies for PHP 8.
Would it be acceptable for the RFC to state that this has no implications
for PHP 8, and is an indefinite deprecation?