I can't speak for others, but for me, it's simply because there's no reason to
do it (remove it), while there may/might be a reason to keep it going forward.
Keeping it comes at zero cost, and if we ever do need a binary string notation,
it sounds more than likely that we'll pick this one.  I see no value at
removing it even if there's a small chance we'll need it again.

I suspect that's why we also saw very little discussion - it's really a
non-issue, but it goes both ways - I probably wouldn't add it if it wasn't in,
but I don't see the logic in removing it now that it's in.

My 2c.

Zeev