Hi!

> My point was that if we were considering a compatibility break
> anyway, we should look at separating out those common use cases into
> something higher level.

I'm completely in agreement with you here, except for "compatibility
break" part. The good news is that you do not need any compatibility
breaks! If you want to create API that allows easy standardized access
to the common denominator of web requests - and I do not disagree it
would be a good thing! - you do not need to change _SERVER. In fact,
there's no reason to change it as if you turn _SERVER into this layer,
this would only lead to creating _REAL_SERVER containing what _SERVER
used to.

Instead, we could just create this layer - either as $_SAPI, or as
function collection, or as object if people want it that way - does not
matter, really - and let it live by itself, not encumbered by any
concerns about BC and not hurting any existing apps. I do not see any
downside to this approach, do you?

> Having done that, we could even allow the low-level "raw server vars"
> (not under the name $_SERVER) to drift even further

Why not under the name _SERVER?

--
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@gmail.com