hi Rasmus,

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 5:52 PM, Rasmus Schultz <ras...@mindplay.dk> wrote:
> The following GD issue is all-too common:
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5773032/how-to-stop-gd2-from-washing-away-the-colors-upon-resizing-images
>
> Basically anyone who's ever accepted uploaded images and resized or
> converted them, has bumped into this.
>
> Only Imagick makes it possible to work around this issue, it's not possible
> with GD, at all - and the internal behavior of GD is arguably "wrong", as
> the visible output of simply opening and saving a JPEG image with GD is
> mangled with washed-out colors.
>
> I am starting to wonder why GD is the default in PHP?
>
> It's a pretty outdated library with a clunky API - we have Imagick with a
> much more concise API and a ton more useful features.

I disagree here, as old functions are old fashioned, new ones are easy
to understand and to use. Not OO, but that's a little details (contrib
welcome). And I disagree with outdated as well. It is focused on
easiness and most common usages. More features make it depending on
the requests or available time to actually add them. Performance wise
it is also similar to similar actions.

> Why is the less-capable image library the default on the PHP platform? Why
> not Imagick?

Imagick is good, but it is a huge library, by its size, features, code
base (external) and complexity. I would never ever recommend to have
it bundled or even less by default.

In any cases, both libraries (or the bindings) welcome contributors,
you are more than welcome too :)

Cheers,
--
Pierre