On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 7:51 AM, Dan Ackroyd <dan...@basereality.com> wrote:

> Hi O'Neil,
>
> On 3 October 2017 at 10:04, O'Neil Delpratt <on...@saxonica.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We are considering submitting an RFC along the following lines and
> welcome your comments:
> >
> > Enhancing the existing XSLTProcessor is not an option: it has fallen too
> far behind for this to be viable.
>
> That's probably true.
>
> > Excelsior have a licensing scheme enabling the compiler to be used by
> open source
> > projects (see: https://www.excelsiorjet.com/free <
> https://www.excelsiorjet.com/free>).
>
> I don't have the multiple hours available now to fully read through
> and comprehend all the license information, however there are some red
> flags from my initial reading:
>
> > Instead, we now offer free personal licenses for that Edition to all
> prospects
> > who opt in when evaluating Excelsior JET.
> > Evaluate Excelsior JET and get a free Standard Edition license for your
> personal use:
> > If you do not wish to receive a free license, you may skip the
> registration and
> > download Excelsior JET Evaluation Packages anonymously.
>
> Having to register and opt in to obtain a license, seems like a problem.
>
> > Caveat #1: The Excelsior JET Runtime cannot be used in embedded systems
> > due to a licensing restriction.
>
> That seems like a problem.
>
> > Caveat #2: The Standard Edition is essentially an entry‑level variant of
> > the product, which means that: It is not available for OS X.
>
> That seems like a problem.
>
> With regards to the more technical aspects of the proposal.
>
> Can you say how much bigger including all of the relevant libraries
> would make the PHP executable? Some people have already expressed
> concern at how large the default PHP executable has become.
>
> What I would suggest is, if you think the license issues can be
> resolved, to apply for a PECL account at http://pecl.php.net/ and
> start having people to start using the extension through there.
>
> Having a quick look at the extension source code, I get the impression
> that having more people use it could result in lots of small
> refinements to the implementation that should be done before the
> extension was ready to bring into PHP core.
>
> cheers
> Dan
> Ack
>
> --
>

>From the ExcelsiorJet FAQ Page:
Is the Excelsior JET license GPL-compatible?
<https://www.excelsiorjet.com/free#>

Unfortunately, no. Excelsior JET includes the Java SE API source code
licensed from Oracle under OCSL Commercial Use license, which is not
GPL-compatible. So even releasing our own code under the GPL won't help.
LGPL is fine however.

We suggest you to release the natively compiled binary under a different
license, pointing out that the source code is available under the GPL. You
would however need the consent of all contributors.
Does new code to the core have to be GPL-compatible? Or has it changed to
LGPL. This may be a showstopper.

Also, the fact it only generates 32-bit code may also be a non starter, as
lots of Linux & BSD systems are now running 64-bit as the default/common
install.

Walter

--
The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of
zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.   -- Justice Louis D. Brandeis