On 02/12/2018 11:43 AM, Wes wrote:
Again, the reason is: in case in future PHP wants to use backticks for
unicode strings, like javascript.
If the community think it's feasible, in PHP 9, 10, whatever, it must be
deprecated asap.
If you think PHP should use a different syntax for unicode strings in
future, you vote no.
It's as simple as that. I am asking to reserve a particular syntax for
something that could be needed in some years.

backtick to execute a shell command is fairly standard in unix shell scripting.

JavaScript is not used for unix shell scripting, php is. Not commonly, but I've used it more than once - especially when I already have a php class that does something I need to do from a shell script. It's a lot faster to write the shell script in PHP than to port the various shell scripts to python.

There is no good reason to remove it, and use of a back tick for executing shell commands has a long history in many scripting languages.