Hi,

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 9:37 PM, Kalle Sommer Nielsen <ka...@php.net> wrote:
> Den tir. 10. jul. 2018 kl. 20.22 skrev Larry Garfield
> <la...@garfieldtech.com>:
>> "do() or die()" code is/was very common in example code, tutorials, and other
>> intro material because it means you don't need to think about error handling.
>
> I personally wanted to extend this syntax but I never got around to it
> to support: "do() or throw new Exception(...);", tho its just a code
> style over: "if(!do()){ throw new Exception(...); }"

I sometimes declare a closure that throws an exception to do just
that. It's very convenient in short(ish) scripts.

isset($foo) OR $foo = 'bar'; (and similar variations using empty()
and/or &&) is another pattern I use often to set fallback values for
empty or missing inputs.

An eventual deprecation would make literally all of my code output
entire screens of warnings.

Cheers,
Andrey.