On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 10:03 PM Ryan <iggyv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all!  Longtime PHP user, first-time contributor to internals (sorry
> if I screw anything up)!
>
> I'd like to propose either the deprecation (7.next - likely 7.4 at this
> point) and removal (8.0) of the T_LOGICAL_OR (or), T_LOGICAL_AND (and), and
> T_LOGICAL_XOR (xor) tokens, or aliasing them to ||, &&, and !=
> respectively.

While having these behave they do is unfortunate, it is hardly the only one
of PHP's quirks.  Ever looked at the ramifications of loose typing with
comparison? http://phpsadness.com/sad/52

> defined("SOME_CONSTANT") or die("SOME_CONSTANT was not defined");
>

> However, this behaviour has nothing to do with the difference of precedence
> - rather this is due to short circuiting.

 True, but that's still a lot of code to break. A *lot* of code.  Far too
much to consider changing this even at a major level I would think.

PHP if anything, is too pragmatic a language for this change.