On 2018-12-12 16:11, Jakub Zelenka wrote:

> You should create a bug report.
>
> Please note that a static configuration has some issues (e.g.
> https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=73609 and think there were more issues
> maybe). Basically it's not well supported so I would recommend to do a
> shared build instead otherwise you are probably on your own unless
> someone finds time to look into it.

Thanks, Jakub for your reply.

Hmm, I checked the link you sent, but this ticket has nothing to do with
linking against a static openssl library.

This ticket mentions that openssl is not supported as a shared
extension. But that is not what I'm doing.

I try to link against a static openssl library. But it works when
linking against a static openssl 1.0.2 lib.
Therefore I highly suspect that there's a problem with configure. But I
will open a ticket, and I will also try to link against a dynamic
openssl 1.1.1.

So linking against a static openssl 1.0.2 works, but against a static
openssl 1.1.1 does not work.

However, linking against a static openssl library should be supported.
Years back people even suggested to always link against a static openssl
lib because of security reasons (no hijacking of dynamic libs and
whatnot). This might not be relevant anymore, but there's no logical
reason why linking against a static openssl 1.1.1 should not work.

Cheers,
  K. C.