On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 4:13 PM Dmitry Stogov <dmi...@zend.com> wrote:

> Hi internals,
>

> The FFI RFC is turned into voting state.
>

> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/ffi
>

> There were very few minor changes since the initial proposal, e.g.
> renaming FFI:array_type() into FFI::arrayType()
>

> Thanks. Dmitry.

My main concern here is that this is a very new extension and I think that
apart from you barely anyone had a chance to actually implement something
based on it and gain experience using the proposed API. Bundling an
extension with PHP means that the API becomes frozen in time and it becomes
very hard to change anything.

I think that having FFI support is important, but I'm afraid that once we
bundle this extension and it will see more usage, it will quickly turn out
that the API needs to change to make it easier to use or accommodate more
use-cases.

My other concern is platform support. FFI is by nature a rather platform
dependent. The RFC says that the extension is currently tested on Linux and
Windows. It would be great if someone using such a system can confirm
whether it also works on OSX and FreeBSD, so we at least have coverage of
the major platforms.

Nikita