On 29.12.2018 at 00:59, Stanislav Malyshev wrote:

> If this extension were not enabled by default and required explicit
> enabling action to build - that's fine, if you did it, we assume you
> know what you're doing enough to assume the risk. But if it's present
> and enabled by default in a common PHP build, I am concerned that we're
> creating a small stepstone making PHP systems easier to exploit. Again,
> it's not a security issue per se, and there are layers of that should
> prevent any problem - but that's the thing, security works in layers,
> and FFI would make it one layer weaker.

As I understand it, the extension would not be compiled by default, but
rather has to be enabled using an explicit --with-ffi configure
option[1] (or --enable-ffi on Windows[2]).  Furthermore, the extension
can't be compiled statically (I presume this is by design), so some
action would already be required before ffi.enable=preload would be
effective.

[1]
<https://github.com/dstogov/php-ffi/blob/6c43a0072da2879e77bffd21d10fb28c0e3c2878/config.m4#L3-L6>
[2]