All,

I have managed to avoid commenting on PHP-FIG since the group was dissolved,
then re-constituted under the same name, without my participation as one of its
original founding members.

However, I cannot let this phrasing pass:

On Feb 1, 2019, at 10:30, Larry Garfield <la...@garfieldtech.com> wrote:

> FIG today is a very different organization.  It does not
> claim any authority or official-ness beyond "a lot of people listen to our
> recommendations", which is objectively true.

Larry is trying to play both sides here with plausible deniability. Quoting him
from https://www.sitepoint.com/the-past-present-and-future-of-the-php-fig/ :

> FIG has effectively become the standards body for PHP. It took time for it to
> earn it, but it did, thanks to the work of dozens of people, both FIG members
> and not. A [Reddit
> thread](https://www.reddit.com/r/PHP/comments/3wownq/how_do_you_see_the_phpfig/)
>  started last January showed that, while not universal, there was a clear
> preference for FIG to step up and accept that role formally.

Either Larry feels that FIG is effectively a standards body, or he does not.

And now that I have spoken, I may be more to say on the matter -- but not just
yet.

--
Paul M. Jones
pmjo...@pmjones.io