On 24/04/2019 15:35, Chase Peeler wrote:
Total files scanned:  20,767
Total lines scanned:  4,013,170
Total short open tag references:  6,787
Total files w/ short open tag references:  1,665

1. Open project in PHPStorm (or equivalent).

2. Run inspections.

3. Click convert short open tags.

Personally I prefer the shorter look of "<? if(...) { ?>" when writing templates, but not enough to be up in arms about its removal.

If anything I'm more concerned about potential code + data leaks.

Something which was previously perfectly legitimate code, no longer being considered code, could be quite the problematic situation... especially if that code happened to be protective logic such as "if" statements.

<? if ($admin) { ?>
  User secret: <?= htmlspecialchars($secret) ?>
<? } ?>

I would have preferred that the parser encountering <? threw a compile error for quite some time rather than just magically ceasing to be relevant.

The XML argument holds no weight with me.

--
Mark Randall