On 24/04/2019 17:14, Chase Peeler wrote:
As I've mentioned in other posts, I don't trust this to do a blind
find/replace. Some of our legacy code files are REALLY bad. Just doing auto
formatting on them in PhpStorm will break things.

I believe you may be misinterpreting how these tools work. It's not a text based find / replace.

Instead, each PHP file is being fully tokenised just as the PHP parser would (in some cases, it is the PHP parser itself doing it) and then the short tags are being replaced, and the file reassembled.

The only points you would have to be wary of would be if you were computer-generating code, as it would not pick up <? used inside string literals.

--
Mark Randall