Hello,

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 at 01:08, Johannes Schlüter <johan...@schlueters.de> wrote:

> On Di, 2019-04-16 at 09:46 -0600, Levi Morrison wrote:
> >
> > I'd be happy to work help with the CMake port, as I know it a decent
> > bit, but I don't have enough time to champion the whole thing.
> >

> That has been done ages ago:
> http://svn.php.net/viewvc/php/cmake/
>
> Back then it didn't have any uptake because it was uncommon and people
> don't like to change. (and maybe some technical reasons where some
> hidden sauce in PHP's build system allows some magic)
>
> A key factor for PHP's build system (imo) back the was that PHP's
> incremental build was *a lot* faster (typical development cycle: touch
> a single file and type "make") than CMake (while CMake+make is more
> correct since it also checks touched headers) nowadays we have SSDs,
> which makes this a bit less of an issue, and CMake supports ninja,
> which eventually might be faster.
>
> johannes

Thanks everyone for their time to write answers here. Basically, the
make supports more implementations besides only GNU. This has been
resolved in a very simplistic way.

About the CMake I'll check it out for sure more... The *nix build
system has been now so much cleaned that adding CMake buildsystem
beside the autotools and windows one could be done nicely I think. A
bit more cleaning should be done of that implementation in the SVN
example. Like adding less files in the project root directory and
every single src folder out there, removing outdated things, adding
new things and fine tunings etc... But yes, quite modern looking thing
with at least active development behind compared to Autoconf stuff and
non standard windows build system without much docs...

Only concern here is PHP's openness to change and accept the change.
I've noticed that so many things here can't be changed actually that
it is becoming a deal breaker to fix things and mover this forward. To
invest one's free time in improving something that in the end
internals people will change according to what they think should be
done here is a bit tricky and I'll leave it be for now. People who
have made cmake implementation on the link above, probably realize and
understand this more than we in this discussion.

And besides, the cmake build system could even be done as a separate
project out of php for starters if anyone might be interested in doing
that.
--
Peter Kokot