On 27 April 2019 13:51:11 BST, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:
>On 27/04/2019 13:37, Rowan Collins wrote:
>> The only way I've seen dates stored as integers is as a number of
>> seconds / milliseconds / whatever since some epoch, most commonly
>> seconds since 1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
>
>Use of a days count rather than a seconds count makes dates a lot
>easier
>to work with. 2 32bit numbers give a substantial day count along with
>either fractional time of day or alternatively a second count for the
>day.

That makes sense, but it's still a variant on the epoch + count concept, not
year-month-day as in Bishop's example. As such, it still wouldn't particularly
benefit from separators; you'd probably write constants in string form and
convert them on the fly, or have durations which were multiples of 7 or 365
rather than powers of 10 or 16.

Regards,

--
Rowan Collins